Writing CentersSupport for Faculty Scholarship
Manuscript Service for Faculty
To support scholarly publishing by faculty and achieve Goal Four of the Strategic Plan: Excel through Excellence and Relevance, the University now offers a free manuscript service. Submitted manuscripts will be reviewed in accordance with the target journal’s or edited collection’s guidelines. If requested, writing consultants will also provide suggestions for grammar, style, and readability from the perspective of a general audience. Through this service, a consultant will help you interpret and comply with your target audience’s formatting requirements so that you can focus on your research and teaching.
- Document formatting support to conform to the journal’s (or publisher’s) style guide (e.g., APA, MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, figures, tables, headings, and margins)
- Citation, footnote, and reference formatting
- Recommendations for grammar, style, and readability
How it Works:
- Submit a request to the writing Centers, at email@example.com. In your message, please
- Describe your needs.
- Provide your target journal’s or collection’s guidelines as an attachment or in the body of your email.
- Attach a Word document of your manuscript so that staff can make suggestions using track changes and in-text comments.
- Provide a date by which you need your manuscript returned to you. A minimum one-week turnaround per every 5,000 words is requested. Additional time may be needed during periods with high student demand, e.g., finals week.
- Staff assigned to review your manuscript will be available for an optional appointment to discuss our feedback and answer your questions.
- Writing Center staff are available to answer brief writing questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 612-728-5154.
- Faculty who would like to discuss a writing project but do not require a full manuscript review may make an appointment with a Writing Center consultant. To make an appointment using the Center’s online system, please visit smumn.mywconline.com. As a first-time user, you will be prompted to register for an account.